When inserting a part or subassembly pattern in an assembly workspace the configuration of all instances of the pattern will match the configuration of the original instance, also known as the seed, at the time of creation.
How to Change Instances of Inserted Part or Subassembly Patterns
1. Insert a part of subassembly pattern with multiple configurations.
2. Expand the Pattern.
3. Expand one of the Parts of the pattern.
4. Expand the Configurations for the Part.
5. Right-click a Configuration that is not currently active. Select the Activate option.
6. The Part in the Configuration will change to the newly active Configuration.